The Jewel In The Crown by Paul Scott
BOOK ONE OF THE RAJ QUARTET India 1942: everything is in flux. World War II has shown that the British are not invincible and the self-rule lobby is gaining many supporters. Against this background, Daphne Manners, a young English girl, is brutally raped in the Bibighat Gardens. The racism, brutality and hatred launched upon the head of her young Indian lover echo the dreadful violence perpetrated on Daphne and reveal the desperate state of Anglo-Indian relations. The rift that will eventually prise India - the jewel in the Imperial Crown - from colonial rule is beginning to gape wide.
The 913th greatest fiction book of all time
This book is on the following lists:
- - 81st on The 100 Greatest British Novels (BBC)
Buy This Book
- The Jewel in the Crown (The Raj Quartet, Book 1)
- The Jewel in the Crown (The Raj Quartet)
- The Jewel in the Crown (Raj Quartet, Book 1)
- The Raj Quartet - the Jewel in the Crown: Omnibus: 'Jewel in the Crown, 'Day of the Scorpion', 'Towers of Silence', 'Division of the Spoils'
- JEWEL IN THE CROWN
- THE JEWEL IN THE CROWN